Friday, July 19, 2013

Change of Plans



After a lot of thought, prayer and discussion, Evan and I have decided that our plan to go to Austin for graduate school was not right for our family at this time. We've decided that Evan is going to apply to be an officer in the Air Force and we're so excited for this new chapter in our lives!

While thoroughly exploring the option of living in Austin, and feeling like it just wasn't right, we started talking seriously about the military. Evan set up an appointment with a recruiter to talk about his chances of becoming an officer. After the meeting with the recruiter,  Evan took the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test a few weeks later and did great! After getting his scores back we felt like we have a really good chance of him getting into the Air Force as an officer. So we fasted, prayed, and discussed this option and we both feel like it's the best option for our family and we're both really excited and happy with our decision. 

I'll try to answer all of the questions that seem to be the ones most people ask:

  • Applications for the next selection board of officers will be due mid September. The board will make their selections sometime in October and we should know whether we've been selected in November or December.
  • Evan does not have to take a physical fitness test, just a physical exam.
  • Evan wants to be a pilot and wants to fly C-130's, C5's, and all the big planes. I can't remember which ones they are.
  • If Evan is selected he'll have to attend Officer Training School in Alabama for 9 weeks. After that, hopefully he'll go into flying school. 
  • If Evan is not selected to be a pilot, we will try again as a non-rated (non-flying) candidate. Unfortunately, you can't apply for both rated and non-rated positions at the same time.
  • I know, I'll be alone a lot. It sucks, but I think with being able to visit family often, being busy with Finn, and the fact that I can do hard things will make it not so horrible.
  • The pay is not too shabby, especially with housing allowance to help us out. 
  • The Air Force deployments are usually shorter than other branches of the service.
That's all I've got for now. Wish us luck and keep us in your prayers that Evan will be selected.




3 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations on a big decision. You can do hard things. Does this mean that you'll be sticking around ABQ in the mean time?
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Jackie!!! I hope everything goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I should have read this a few months ago....I asked all of these while we were in Utah :)
    Love ya noodley

    ReplyDelete