Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent

So, growing up Mormon and not knowing much about the Catholic church, my knowledge of Lent is limited to what little talk I've heard about it, whatever I was able to skim on Wikipedia without losing interest (which, sadly, wasn't much, I have a very small attention span when it comes to reading informational context), and that movie 40 Days and 40 Nights. So, probably not the best sources of information, but so it goes. Anyway, I really like the idea of Lent. I like the idea of sacrificing something you really love to show your love of God and his son Jesus Christ, and also overcoming the natural man through self denial. It sounds a little masochistic when you you say self-denial, doesn't it? It's really not masochistic though. It's a great way to break away from vices that might be stopping you from doing great things, or stopping you from having a healthy lifestyle that promotes doing great things.

I've decided to participate in Lent this year. I know I'm not Catholic, and I probably don't understand what it's really about, and I'm not going to give up meat (I've heard that's part of it), but I am going to give up two things that I really really love.

Soda. The IV drip bag is not too far from reality the way I've been downing Diet Dr. Peppers the past few weeks. It's just so good! So, I'm giving it up for 40 days. I'll drink my tasteless water and hopefully, every time I want a soda instead of water, I'll remember why I'm doing this and it will be a little more worth it.

And....


Sweets. I LOVE candy and cookies and donuts and baked goods. It's all just so good. But, as with soda, I hope that after dinner, when I'm really wanting to have a dessert, or like a Tuesday when I really just want some candy, I'll remember what's really important and remember that I'm sacrificing for something bigger.

Wish me luck! I'm gonna need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment